I’m in the process of clearing out my inbox today after being shut out of my email for a while (thanks, Comcast!) and as usual, there are a ton of “spray and pray” press releases in there.
This one caught my eye.
Let Nostalgia Reign Supreme! Allow your inner child to meet your outer grown-up by attending one of Holman Ranch’s throwback Adult Camps! It’s like summer camp when you were a kid, except no early bedtime or wake-up calls! Relax, unwind, and disconnect from the stress of the workday world.
Enjoy a number of traditional camp activities, including:
· Nature hikes
· Arts & crafts
· Skeet shooting
· Yoga & meditation
· Billiards & ping pong
· Dance classes
· Board games
Plus a number of adult activities, such as wine or olive oil tastings, cooking or winemaking classes, or simply relaxing and reading a book surrounded by nature on our 400-acre historic ranch. And, of course, s’mores at our nightly campfires. Ghost stories optional.
The other great thing about being an adult is you won’t have to rough it in bunk beds or sleep on the ground at this camp. Instead, you’ll reside comfortably in one of our 10 remodeled guest rooms or one of our new Glamping tents right on the ranch!
Exclamation point abuse aside, I wish I was in California and in possession of some money to burn because this sounds like a helluva good time to me. I think a lot of us do go on vacay with good intentions, but unless your trip is specifically planned around hiking or snorkeling or whatever exercise tends to fall by the wayside. I love the idea that here it’s built into the agenda, just like at camp. Plus, GLAMPING! When can I go glamping, please?
Everyone I went to school with turns 40 this year (or recently has) and I wonder if there is a local option like this one available to us. It would be a great way to collectively celebrate a milestone year: we could revisit our youth, sing our high school song around the campfire while trading old stories under the stars, and re-enact gym class, albeit without the polyester brown and gold uniform (unless someone was feeling extra fancy).
In any case, I hope the concept of adult camp/fitness getaways catches on; it’s a fantastic way to reframe exercise as play, as a reward, as a fun way to spend time with your friends or partner. I know some hotels do offer detox weekends where you turn in your electronics, but honestly I think Instagram would only help spread the word in this case.
I’d also love to see more hotels detailing outdoor activities for families! Every town has hidden outdoor treasures; it would be great if a list was provided of ways to get outside and move if you have a full day, an afternoon, 30 minutes, etc. I know we have the internet for that, but sometimes you find yourself in your hotel room with a little time to kill and it would be nice to have the inspiration right there in front of you. I tend to find traveling super stressful anyway so the nudge to get moving and soak up some Vitamin D would be most welcome.
What do you think? Wanna go to adult camp with me?
P.S. If you ARE in California or inclined to travel there, here’s the rest of the info.
Holman Ranch in scenic Carmel Valley is known for its horses, wines and olive groves, but we are also a great place to boost your fitness and health with our new Fitness Camps!
Packages are available for 2-night minimum stay with 10 guest rooms, with Glamping tents available for larger groups, and can be customized from a selection of the following activities:
· Individual or group fitness classes, offered in a secluded section of the estate amid olive groves and vineyards.
· Yoga or Pilates classes or private sessions with a certified instructor
· Dining options include catering, cooking on your own, and healthy and nutritious meals at nearby Wills Fargo Steakhouse + Bar
· Cooking demos with renowned local chefs
· Classes on nutrition and healthy eating
· Guided hikes on our numerous trails, from canyons to rolling hills
· Swimming and water aerobics in the estate’s swimming pool
· Workouts in our fully equipped fitness room with free weights, universal weight stations, elliptical and treadmill cardio machines.
· Customized personal training sessions available.
· Fresh juice and breakfast bars to start your morning off with an energy boost
· Vineyard run/walk, a fun fitness run or walk through the extensive wine vineyards on the 400-acre grounds
(831) 659-2640 or firstname.lastname@example.org